Monday, March 2, 2009

Those oh-so-anticipated “teachable moments” -- Kare

I am excited to say that I am now an official “student teacher.” While the first few days were challenging, they were also exciting, motivating, and, of course, insightful learning opportunities. I have learned about the challenge that is co-teacher collaboration and how to be flexible in the classroom.

Day 1: I introduced The Great Gatsby, our main unit text, by way of discussing the parallels between Fitzgerald’s life and his fiction. Lesson 1: students care far less about Fitzgerald’s college literary magazine and football dreams than I do! As a teacher, it is challenging to balance your personal love and interest in literature and learning with what your students are reasonably inspired and capable of exploring.

Day 2: I used the universal appeal of $$$ to attract student attention. The students discussed money and high/low society in The Great Gatsby…and they really got into it! I was so pleased to see every student talking and finding what I considered “slippery” quotations from the text to explore the concept of money and class. I am, however, in a unique situation in that my class is not all mine. In fact, it is not even shared by me and my cooperating teacher. No, I share a class with another student teacher and two cooperating teachers. Lesson 2: be open and flexible. To make a long story short, I felt like I had to stop my first-ever teachable moment because the clock told me to hand over the reigns to my history student teacher counterpart. I understand that teaching is being flexible, but I wish that this flexibility was driven by the STUDENTS and not by scheduling and a shared classroom. My goal now is to somehow figure out ways to develop these “teachable moments” in finite scheduled-ahead time blocks. More to come on this…

1 comment:

  1. I adore teaching THE GREAT GATSBY. It's so well crafted and beautifully worded. Could you tell us a little about the class population: their intellectual ability over all, the level of their academic ambition, the number of minority students, the number of students in any one section, etc. Thanks. And good luck with your student-teaching experience. Vicki Mc.

    ReplyDelete

We would love to hear what you think! Please leave us your thoughts.